Monday, July 14, 2008

Unity in Diversity

I am Indian in US pursuing his American Dream(a.k.a Masters). In short i am one of the countless Indian Diaspora at US trying to achieve something. Diaspora which stands for "Scattering of seeds" in greek.Better known here as "Desis". When i landed in US i heard that term quite often, and it set me thinking,for the americans we are all same, a single group of people irrespective of the differences that we have created among ourselves. I remember the first incident when me and a couple of friends were talking to an american friend. Me and my friend spoke in our mother tongue which my other desi friend did not understand. My american friend was quick to spot that and asked us whether we were talking in some other language other than "Indian" and we had to go round and explain to him that there is no language called as indian but rather a huge set of languages, he seemed totally amazed that in a single country there are so many differences despite the fact that all of look the same. That led me to think I guess whatever the differences we may have we still belong to the same country as the other people are not able to differentiate between us. Yet back home we seem to fight over petty things like language, region and whatnot. We seem to create more and more differences among ourselves.Yet amazing enough here far from home we seem to have forgotten our differences and become a single big family. I mean how often in India do you find people travelling in cars stopping by and giving you a lift? I met a friend from north india who stopped by while i was waiting for my bus(Which was unusually late). He offered to drop me to college. I was amazed as i had never ever met the guy in my life, yet here he was offering me a lift. I sooke to him about quite a few things(mainly about our country). When i got down i asked what made him to stop by and give me a lift and he replied promptly "Are yaar yahan to desis hi to ek doosre ki kaam aate hai". That set me thinking he wanted to help me out because he felt i was an indian and that was more than enough reason for him to take the extra trouble of dropping me to college. And i came to know from friends that this was a normal thing and even i was expected to do the same thing. I guess the desis here are willing to help one another because you remind them of something which they have left back home inorder to achive their dreams in this foreign land.But here its as though our differnces have blurred to almost non existance. If you are an desi you will find that all the desis around you will talk to you without any hestation never mind where you are from or where they are from . Its as though the distance has caused us to grow closer. Last time when we had a party i could count people from all over my country mixing together sharing their thoughts freely. It makes me realise despite our differnces there is some bold that seems to run deeper. When i read about unity in diversity in our history and civics books it felt great but some how i never had the oppurtunity to feel it myself. But out here i can see unity among our people which makes me realise how pround am i to be an INDIAN.

1 comment:

Bharath R S said...

common dude!! start writing more in ur blog :P!!

Some spicy topics ;)